Saturday, April 5, 2014
The Southard Fire Department Ladies Auxiliary is pleased to announce that they will be holding an Entertainment Night featuring Chris Chianca and Joe Campisano on April 5tth from 7pm-11pm. Chris and Joe will be performing their amazing act of comedy magic. Music will be provided by GSL Entertainment. Buffet dinner includes Chicken Francaise, Stuffed Shells, Salad, Vegetable Medley, Roasted Potatoes, Desert and Coffee/Tea. There will be a cash bar serving beer, wine and limited mixed drinks. Cost per ticket is $35.00. For info, please contact (732) 618-8698
Wednesday, February 26, 2014
Please join us on Wednesday,
February 26th from 5:30 pm – 9:00 pm for Tip-a-Fireman night at Applebee’s
located at 4721 Route 9 North in Howell.
Coincidentally, Wednesday is also “Ladies Night” at Applebee’s, so all
in attendance can enjoy $5.00 drinks.
For this wonderfully fun filled evening, the firemen of Southard Fire
Department will be delivering food along with a smile to benefit their great
organization. Come see these volunteers
fine tune their serving skills while delivering their best in customer
service. Stop by for some great food and
laughs to help support these brave individuals and thank them for their hard
work to keep our community out of harms way.
All proceeds from this event will go to the Southard Fire House to
further their efforts to keep our community safe. For more information call (732) 685-3600.
Thursday, January 30, 2014
On Thursday, January 30, 2014,
the Trenton Fire Department responded to several large incidents including a
large warehouse fire as well as an apartment complex fire with persons
trapped. Due to the growing number of
men and apparatus needed at these incidents, the Trenton Fire Department
requested mutual aid from surrounding municipalities and counties.
The Monmouth County Fire
Marshal's office was contacted and requested for several pieces of apparatus to
assist in the Trenton area. The Southard
Fire Department was requested and dispatched for Rescue 19-3-86 for its Cascade
air system as well as other tools.
Rescue 19-3-86 responded
to the Mercer County Fire Academy, the staging area for apparatus entering the
area, and was eventually deployed to the Pennington Road fire station in Ewing
Township along with engine 19-2-75 from the Adelphia Fire Company in Howell
By the early evening hours the
incidents had begun to de-escalate and demobilization of area fire companies
was beginning. The apparatus from the
Southard Fire Department as well as the Adelphia Fire Company were released
from Ewing Township at approximately 6:00 PM and returned to Howell.
Wednesday, January 22, 2014
In the afternoon of Wednesday, January 22, 2014, the Southard Fire Department Hazardous Materials Team was requested for assistance at the scene of a truck rollover accident on Route 547 and Easy Street in the Ramtown fire district of Howell Township. The accident occurred when a hit and run driver struck the box truck on an icy road and caused the truck to overturn. The overturned truck began to leak fluids onto the roadway, which initiated a response by the Ramtown fire department. After doing an initial survey of the scene and utilizing a large amount of absorbent material on the roadway, officers of the Ramtown fire department requested assistance from the Southard Fire Department Hazardous Materials Team due to the unknown quantity of fluid which was going to leak from the vehicle. Upon the arrival of the Southard Fire Department Hazardous Materials Team, Chief John Tucker inspected the scene with the officers from the Ramtown fire department and it was determined that more absorbent material was needed on the roadway to absorb the leaking fluids. Upon the arrival of a heavy-duty tow truck, the vehicle was operated and the absorbent material was spread throughout the area contaminated by the fluids. This contaminated absorbent material was then removed from the roadway with the assistance of the Monmouth County Highway Department and the roadway was open shortly thereafter.
Sunday, December 22, 2013
It's that time of year again for the members of Southard
Fire Department to host their annual “Breakfast with Santa” offering fun and
smiles for the entire family to share. The event will take place on Sunday,
December 22nd with breakfast being served from 9:00am – 12:00pm at
Southard Fire Department located at 4611 Route 9 North in Howell, NJ. In
addition, fire truck rides will be available from 9:00am – 2:00pm on the
same day. Each year, this is an event that draws many from the Howell and
surrounding areas and all funds collected are in support of Southard
Fire Department and it’s efforts to keep those is our community safe. The
cost for adults is $7.00 and $5.00 for children ten years old and younger. Come
out to enjoy the holiday season with your friends and family while
supporting our local heroes!
Monday, December 16, 2013
The Southard Fire Dept would like to advise all district #3
residents that starting December 16th from 7:00pm -9:00pm, our fire trucks will
be bringing Santa through the district for all children to see. Please
note that we start on the Jackson side of Route 9 and continue going through
each street until we are completed. We do not go through areas more than
once so please keep an ear open for our sirens. Santa loves seeing
everyone waving so please do so.
In addition to this we would like to advise all residents that on Sunday
December 22nd, 2013 we will be having our annual Breakfast with Santa and Fire
Truck Rides. The rides will begin at 9:00am.
Thank You and Merry Christmas!
Thursday, November 7, 2013
As Veterans Day approaches, we would like to take a minute
to thank all of the Men and Women who have served or are presently serving our
country. Thank you for your commitment and sacrifice. Please join the Southard
Fire Department and Applebees in thanking our Veterans. Take a minute and visit:
Monday, November 4, 2013 1:07am
In the early morning hours of Monday, November 4, the
Southard fire Department was dispatched for a mutual aid assignment for the Ramtown
fire company at a structure fire on Maida Lane in Howell. Upon arrival, Chief John Tucker was advised
by Chief Robert Nichols of the Ramtown fire company that manpower and a water
supply line were needed. Upon the
arrival of Engine 19-3-78, a 3 inch supply line was laid in from Oak Glen Road
to the scene and its manpower were put to work at the structure.
Upon the incident being stabilized, all firefighters and Engine
19-3-78 were released.
Thursday, October 31, 2013 5:33pm
At approximately 1733 hrs. on October 31, 2013, the Howell
Township dispatch center received a 911 report of a structure fire with flames
showing through the roof of a residence.
The Southard Fire Department (Howell Township station 19 – 3) was
dispatched. Upon the arrival of Assistant
Chief Kenneth Latchney reported a 2 1/2 story wood frame residence with fire
showing through most of the roof and on the “C” side of the structure. Due to the time of day and the lack of fire
hydrants in the area Chief Latchney requested a full company response from the
Ramtown Fire Company (Howell Township station 19-4), a ladder and tanker
response from the Freewood Acres Fire Company(Howell Township station 19-5), a
tanker from the Adelphia Fire Company (Howell Township station 19 –2), a tanker
from the Lakewood Fire Department, and a RIT team from the Jackson Fire Department
(Jackson Township station 55).
Upon the arrival of the Southard engine 19-3-75 a 2 1/2 inch
line was placed into operation on the "C" side of the structure while
Freewood Acres ladder 19– 5–90 arrived and set up operations from the “A” side
of the structure over the roof.
Initial reports of residents possibly being in the structure
proved false during the primary search with the exception of a family dog,
which was rescued from the second floor by firefighters. The dog was treated
with oxygen by members of the Howell First Aid Squad who later transported it
to an animal hospital.
With tankers supplying the two attack apparatus, the bulk of
the fire was quickly knocked down, after which hand lines were stretched
through the front door and up to the second floor of the structure. The remainder of the fire was extinguished
with the hand lines.
Investigation later revealed that the fire started from an
electrical source in the attic towards the “C” side of the structure, dropping
lighted material down to the deck on the “C” side of the structure and igniting
the structure at that location.
Tuesday, October 29, 2013 1:20pm
Tuesday October 29, 2013 The El Oxacaqueno 124 Clifton Ave., Lakewood was
heavily damaged by fire and businesses on either side suffered smoke and water
damage, Chief Todd Stark said.
Two fire marshals in the township’s downtown discovered a fire Tuesday and
rescued two women living in an upstairs apartment, said Chief Stark. Mutual aid
from the Southard Fire Department of Howell, Brick, Jackson, Point Pleasant, and
Toms River assisted in battling the blaze.
“The fire was stubborn because the roof collapsed,” Stark said. Fortunately,
two women were rescued prior to the collapse.
Police said the fire was reported at 1:20 p.m. and the scene was cleared by
Footage Provided by Lakewood Scoop
Site designed and maintained by